Since I didn't update this when Ben got home from Grandma and Grandpa's place in July I think I'll just skip ahead a couple weeks.
I received a call at work on Friday, July 25 that Ben would need to be picked up from daycare and he wouldn't be able to come back that day. Evidently they forgot to tell me that he injured another little boy on Thursday (he was playing tug of war with a pencil and the other little boy let go, thus Ben hitting another kid in the face as he flung backwards). On Friday, he decided he wanted to see what a block of Lego's that he put together would do if he threw them against a wood shelf. Well, the same little boy that got hit with the pencil took a blow right between the eyes. Yes, there was blood with this one and Ben felt terrible. Rules are rules and since he had injured someone two days in a row he had to go home.
So, I'm frantically trying to figure out how we were going to leave work with the both us had meetings and it's not like we work in the same town as daycare. Daycare is in Boone and we both work in Des Moines. Thankfully Grandma Starling hadn't left for Nebraska for a visit with family and friends so she was able to go and get him.
When we got home that night we sat down and had a fairly lengthy talk about what is appropriate at daycare and what isn't. We told him there would be consequences and he wasn't going to like it. Ben is into electronics just like his dad so we had to take something away that was really going to make an impression. All electronics that he is allowed to play with were gone for a week (Nintendo DS, Wii, DVD player, computer) and if he didn't behave at daycare the following week then the DS and DVD player may not be going on vacation with us.
Yes, this would have been punishment for us as well but we had to do it. Each day we would ask him if everything went okay or not. Thankfully he made it 4 days without causing any big problems. So, the DS and movies were able to travel with us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Way to go, Ben!!! I sure enjoyed having you come to MY house! heehee
Some lessons are hard to learn... even the ones that are "accidents". Way to go, Mom and Dad, on sticking to your guns. I totally know what you mean when you say sometimes (a lot of times!) consequences are just as much punishment for the parents as it is for the kids. ;) And what your Grandma said, Ben. Way to go!
Heehee! I'm sure we're going to have our fair share of these things in our future! I can just see it now! Aaaaaargh!
Post a Comment